Friday, January 16, 2009

Trip to India: Day 5: The Sea

Day 5:


(Noushad and Sayid teaching my mom to write in Malayalam, the language of Kerala)

We had originally planned to go see the elephants today, but our cab drivers ended up bringing us 2 tuk-tuks instead of a cab for the 2 hour drive, so we opted to do that another day and decided to go walk around the town since we were already up so early.

We headed down to the shore where the fishermen use enormous Chinese fishing nets. Even though it's not a great season for fishing, the men allowed us tourists onto the platforms to help pull the nets, see the fish, and make a little money in their downtime. The contraptions used to hoist the nets are ENORMOUS and beautiful, and the fishermen use them like extensions of their own bodies. Five of them pull on ropes towards the back of the platform to pull down an immense lever to pull the net out of the water. They let us have a go at it, and it's harder than it looks. Particularly because I'd imagine the 3 remaining fishermen had to do quite a lot of compensating for us during the pulling.



I slipped and fell about 3 seconds after this photo.

After breakfast, we called Noushad and Sayid again (our cab drivers) and they took us to the nearby Vipin Island to go to the beach. After a deathdefying tuk-tuk ride through the cities and backwaters on the island, we arrived at a beach resort area plopped down in the middle of miles of identical coastline where all of the beachgoers had gathered. Since we were in the water, there aren't really any drawings or photos of the beach, but trust me, it was nice. I had never been in the Arabian Sea before, but the water was absurdly warm. It felt good to be out in the sun again (although I'm sure my New York-white skin and future melanomas would disagree).

We made our way back at sunset, and ended up waiting in line to get back on the ferry to Cochin for a while, so I took out the watercolors and tried to paint on the dock. Jasleen and Stephen questioned my location choice and pointed out the swarms of mosquitoes and the dead feral dog and smelly garbage on the slope behind me, but art is made with suffering, goddammit!


So, after about 15 minutes of being mauled by the mosquitoes I fled back to the relative safety of the tuk-tuk.



Since it was Sunday (I think, or their big day might be Monday....I can't remember these things) there was a big celebration at the church when we got back to Cochin. The cathedral looked beautiful, covered with floating stars.

1 comment:

audrey said...

beautiful work, evan!